Last Updated on January 9, 2021 by Big Think
Water is an essential element required for the existence of all living beings. You know how predominantly water impacts your daily living from washing to cleaning and drinking to cooking. However, one very crucial question you may have in mind is if your water is safe enough to save the soul of you and your loving ones. No worries!! You have a water filter system within reach with the best water softener and cleansers to purify the water. For the best whole house water filter solution, there are a handful of systems for you.
12 Best Whole House Water Filter Reviews:
The age-old piping system and chlorine deployment to purify water are some of the disadvantages of the water supply from your local metropolis authority. But this traditional method is no longer safe; particularly, it can be hazardous for your skin and hair if used for a long time. Sometimes, you may experience the supplied water with color and odor. For your relief, we offer you reviews on whole house water filters with which you will get a detailed picture of the ins and outs of the safe water system for your sweet home. So, fasten your seatbelt!! Let’s start the journey of review!!
1. Home Master Water Filter
If you need a whole house water filter with popularity and a good price/value ratio aspect, then home master is your right selection. Depending on the water pressure, it can filter up to 15 gallons per minute. The output from the filter is crisp and clean water. Because before reaching your faucet, this filter through its activated carbon will remove particles larger than 1 micron from the water. Based on your consumption, it can supply you with 100,000 gallons of water up to two years from the date of installation. It has a high-quality sediment filter.
- Without drawing the water pressure, this filter can deliver you clean and clear water throughout the home;
- It is the best whole house water filter for well water where iron, manganese, and hydrogen sulfide exists;
- It can remove contaminants creating odors & foul tastes and other chemicals, manganese, sediments, and iron by 95%;
- Home Master is a good performing water cleaner with a three-stage filtering system;
- At the first stage, with the multi-gradient depth sediment filter and four layers of filtration, the filter holds the dirt with greater capacity and maintain chemical & bacterial resistance;
- The Second Stage has a “radial flow iron-reduction filter” that sucks the iron from the water up to 3ppm;
- In the Third Stage, there is a radial flow granular-activated coconut-shell carbon water filter that removes odors, foul tastes, and chemicals;
- No clogging occurs because of its 15-gallon per minute water flow rate.
What we like:
- It ensures your good health by removing sediment, chemicals, chlorine, and unsafe level of heavy metals from the water;
- It saves from drying out skin and hair;
- It can remove up to 30 hazardous contaminants from the supplied water;
- It supplies odorless, clean, and tasty water that helps reducing dependency on sugar-laden and unhealthy soft drinks ;
- It has a high flow rate with larger filter tanks;
- It requires low maintenance.
What we don’t like:
- It might not remove all the iron contents from heavily contaminated water;
- It doesn’t remove fluoride;
- It has no water softener;
- You may find it challenging to install it by yourself.
2. Aquasana Premium Rhino
If the most advanced and most convenient whole house water filtration system is your choice, Aquasana Premium Rhino is your perfect option. On the one hand, the price of the product synchronizes with quality. On the other hand, you will get a long-term solution without compromising your washing, cooking, and drinking water. Whereas a regular family consumes on an average 15,000 gallons of water each year, this particular product ensures you supply water up to 1,000,000 (one million) gallons. So, you feel the peace of mind!! Moreover, for the SimplySoft technology, it comes with saltless water softeners. This Rhino can remove all types of contaminants up to 99.99% from the water you consume.
The most important part of this rhino water filter is its immense and astonishing capacity to filter the water. Depending on the budget, you will find several packages of the product. But the 10-year one will give you an unmatched solution without any need of draining. It is one of the best water filtration systems for the home.
- It has a filtration tank with huge capacity;
- SimplySoft technology embedded with the product has made it all different from other products;
- The best water softener system available in the product will ensure supplying soft & nice water and preventing corrosion;
- It filters all chemicals and salts from the water; thus making it soft;
- It ensures an odorless, colorless, and chlorineless delicious drinking water;
- This product supplies clean shower water that ensures your healthy skin and hair;
- For the fresh & clean coking water, your foods become tasty and healthy.
What we like:
- For the bigger capacity, it runs for years;
- It is effective for enjoying 99.99% chemical & germ-free, odorless and colorless water;
- SimplySoft is its added advantage that improves the quality of water and softens it;
- Depending on your budget, you have the independence to choose from a variety of packages.
What we don’t like:
- It is quite an expensive solution;
- This system might leak at some point;
- It can’t remove fluoride;
- Bleach based liquids may entirely damage the piping system of the filter.
3. Express Home Water Filtration System
If you have no problem with spending money on an exceptionally outstanding and effective solution, then this product will surely prevail within your top charts. Its 3-stage filtration process will ensure you get pure, healthy, safe, and clean water for drinking and any use. It can remove chlorine from the water so perfectly that you enjoy bathing. With this system installed at your home, you don’t need to worry about taking care of your appliances, and you will get the healthiest drinking water from every tap.
The 3-stage filtration system includes filters of larger capacities like Sediment Filtration, Kinetic Degradation Fluxion, and Carbon Block Filtration that work combinedly to wash out the contaminants such as hydrogen sulfate, turbidity, fungi, sand, dirt, copper, iron, lead, aluminum, chloramine, chlorine, VOCs, and so on. Thus, it offers you a great water purification system. Its stability is the outcome of a standing stainless-steel frame. You can save valuable time since it offers an easy-to-setup design. You now know when to replace a filter because this product has a transparent 1st stage housing to inform on the time.
- It has pressure gauges and pressure release buttons;
- It doesn’t lose pressure and waste the water;
- It won’t leak and is easy to install;
- For the 3-stage design ensuring smooth and effective filtering, you can term it as one of the best water filters;
- The first filter catches the sediments like rust, silt, scale, and coarse sand;
- The second filter removes organic chemicals, dirt, suspended particles, and chlorine;
- The final stage offers finer filtration and removes VOCs to supply you odorless, clean, and tasty water;
- It is an excellent water sediment filter.
What we like:
- The 3-stage design smoothen the water efficiently;
- It is effective for filtering chlorine, sediment, and some types of heavy metals;
- Pressure valve always informs about the PSI;
What we don’t like:
- It’s quite costly;
- Teflon tape required to purchase separately for preventing the leak in the connection;
- After changing the filter, you will need to flush about 10 gallons of water.
4. Aqua-pure whole House Water Filtration System:
Another popular whole house water filter that you may be inclined to buy is the product from Aqua-pure. If you look at its price and compare it to the filtering capacity, you will surely have a positive hunch. One of the main eye-catchy aspects of this filter is its flow rate of 20 gallons per minute, which is above the industry average of 15 gallons per minute. For this huge water flow rate, you are not likely to experience reduced water pressure even if you increase the number of faucets simultaneously for your home. This filter will cost a lower maintenance charge. Because in a standard situation, this filter will last for a year and more. You can alter them very easily by just twisting them off and twisting new ones to replace them. This filter uses carbon media responsible for removing chlorine from water and enhancing its odor & taste, making it one of the best water filter systems.
- This product, with 100,000 gallons filtering capacity and 7.5 pounds weight, is an effective, longer-lasting, and simple whole house water filtration system;
- It is effortless to install. Its stainless-steel head empowers you to a hassle-free installation;
- You don’t need any tools to replace its cartridges;
- It has a sanitary designed filter system for which you will not get the cartridges at the time of their replacement;
- For the extra-large capacity of filtering the water, this product can supply water uninterruptedly for larger homes and smaller commercial use;
- It can remove sulfur that is responsible for rotten egg smell and taste in the water;
- Apart from providing a one-year guarantee, this product is FDA CFR-21 compliant.
What we like:
- Its installation and filter change process is straightforward;
- It can reduce the level of chlorine from water;
- It can capture rust, dirt, and sediment;
- Its high flow rate ensures a smooth performance;
- It is best for a well water filtration system.
What we don’t like:
- It can’t remove fluoride;
- As a single-stage filter, it may require a pre-installation system for effectively removing unwanted materials.
5. Culligan Whole House Sediment Water Filter:
If you need a simple yet heavy-duty, best whole house water filter for a small family, then this is the product you cherish for a long time. This product uses safe materials and is CSA, NSF/ANSI, and WQA certified. It has stainless-steel made 1-inch inlet and outlet connectors. Its battery-operated filter life monitor gets integrated with bracket design and bypass valve. These whole house water filter cartridges are compatible with CW5-BBS, CP5-BBS, R50-BBSA, CW25-BBS, and RFC-BBSA. It gives ample scope to choose from a wide variety. This filter can remove dirt, fine sand, scale, rust, coarse sand, silt, chlorine odor, and taste, for which you get a plumbing system and faucets free from choking. This whole house water filtration solution helps to increase the life of your appliances.
- For the smaller size, it is convenient to install;
- It is compliant with many regulators; thus, you don’t have to worry if any legitimacy arises;
- Its built-in LED light will let you know when to change;
- With the kit, it offers a filter monitor and a battery;
- A good number of certifications ensure the sign of its quality;
- After filtration, this product will give you water with a very insignificant level of lead.
What we like:
- It is budget-friendly and will not push you for a higher investment initially;
- The smaller size and lightweight feature ensure it to install in a small space;
- You can reuse them by just a proper washing;
- Certifications ensure the integrity and mineralization of water.
What we don’t like:
- The kit is not full. So you need to purchase related items before its installation;
- The indicator light is fragile;
- It breaks out if you push hard.
6. DuPont Water Filtration System
As a wise person, you always look for a product that is great value for money. In that case, you can choose the DuPont water filter. It is a versatile product that will give you the ultimate convenience. The first thing is, it will not take a lot of money from you for installation. Besides, you will get one of the singular whole house water filtration systems that you can extend whenever you wish to do with a little investment. Each filter of the product can supply pure and clean water up to 15,000 gallons. It will give you the freedom from the hassle of changing cartridges frequently.
Seals and outlets of the product can synchronize with each other and with your home’s piping system. It allows having cartridges connected in a chain. For a good result, you construct the system by putting a water sediment filter in the first position and a whole house carbon filter in the second. This way, you will get an effective filtration system by saving some money. It will improve the taste and clarity of the water significantly.
- With a 3-year warranty, this product gives you a security blanket;
- It works best with cold water;
- You can install it anywhere on the piping except after the heater;
- Apart from cleaning other unwanted things, it can also remove chlorine from the water;
- It uses universal 500 series Poly Block Cartridge;
- It improves the taste and clarity of incoming water;
- It is best for indoor use.
- It is an excellent whole home water filter.
What we like:
- It ensures the good value of your hard-earned bucks;
- It gives you the freedom to install various filters to have your water go through several cartridges to ensure maximum clarity in water;
- It gives longer life.
What we don’t like:
- It might damage at rough use since it has no metal parts;
- It will not remove fluoride;
- It is a bare-boned filter and can’t soften the water.
7. WHIRLPOOL Whole House Filtration Replacement Filter
You may be interested in an easy return policy for a whole house water system filter you intend to buy. Here is your product that Whirlpool offers a 30-days hassle-free return policy. Thus, you need not worry if you do not like it after buying or if the product doesn’t fit your requirement finally. Its nominal filtration rating is five microns. This product can remove silt, sediment, soil, sand, and rust from water. It ensures that the water you drink doesn’t have any contaminants. It gives you increased performance because it has a grooved surface and a rigid cartridge construction. It is designed to supply you the pure, clean, and tasty water. This filtration system best suits one to four members family. An NSF International tested and certified product, it offers you a congenial two-pack value.
- It efficiently removes sand, silt, rust, and other impure things from water;
- The filter has a longevity of 6 months;
- 5-micron nominal filtration ensures clean and pure water;
- It’s an authority certified product that you can confide upon;
- It has a value pack of two filters.
What we like:
- It is less costly for a cleaner result;
- This filter is convenient since it fits Whirlpool and other major brands;
- It supplies better tasting safer water;
- It can reduce lead by more than 99%.
What we don’t like:
- It may expose to certain chemicals.
8. Aquios Water Softener and Filtration System:
This product is a compact unit mixed with filtration technology and water treatment. This system of water filters for the home ensures both water conditioning and filtration. Its compact unit helps to improve the taste of your household water supply. It can also prevent building-up the lime-scale responsible for damaging the appliances, water pipes, and fittings. It will filter out all undesirable elements, including but not limited to sediment and chlorine. It also ensures that minerals like magnesium and calcium of the hard water do not accumulate inside the water pipes and fittings. It provides you and your family members with healthy, clean, and pure water. This water filter system for home comprises a natural and FDA approved technology and food-grade additive named Siliphos. It will ensure tasty water. It offers a 20-year limited warranty on the valve and housing. The system’s design doesn’t require any electricity or programming that ensures no reduction of flow rate or water pressure.
- The compact design of this water filtration system requires no electrical power for operation;
- Facilities like water conditioning, filtering, and scale reduction are available in this single product;
- Unlike other salt-based whole house water softeners, it ensures improving the water taste instead of feeling like “slippery water”;
- Its design with a built-in valve has both shut-off and internal bypass functions that allowing greater freedom;
- Cartridges of this filter have a higher capacity of filtration;
- It has a 60-day money-back return policy with a full refund less handling ad shipping charges;
- Cartridges have a life span of 6 months, and within this time, it can condition & filter up to 40,000 gallons of water.
What we like:
- It extends the life expectancy of appliances of your home;
- Except for replacing the cartridges, there is no maintenance cost;
- The long-term 20-year warranty and a money-back guarantee are cool;
What we don’t like:
- It may not work better for tough water. Salt-based systems work here great;
- Removing a higher level of sediment will require extra cartridges to install, which will lead to an increase in the total cost.
9. Aquaboon Sediment Water Filter Whole House:
Aquaboon is a 10X4.5 inch 5-micron cartridge-based whole house Polypropylene Sediment Water Filter. Its finely melted Polypropylene Filter has a cylinder-like form. They have high graded density layers that ensure the outer layer can pour more water by sucking dirt, silt, rust particles, sand; and an inner layer to catch smaller particles with its finer micron. Each of the cartridges of this filter is shrink-wrapped. One of the fascinating aspects of the polypropylene sediment filter is its compatibility with many available whole home water filtration systems. It allows you wider freedom to choose the right solution for your home. The filter’s output is so pure and clean that you can fulfill your every purpose, from bathing to cooking, drinking to cleaning &, washing, and many more. It contains no binders, wetting agents, solvents, or antistatic materials. Depending on the water quality that comes from the original supply, you may need to replace them 2-3 times annually.
- It has a filtration capacity of 10,000 gallons;
- It is available with a six months warranty;
- To continue getting clean and tasty water, you may change the filter after every six months of use;
- It can work up to 90 PSI and can consume water with temperature from 4-52 degree Celcius;
- For the 5 zones of filtration, it ensures quality to remove more contaminants;
- It is a thermally boded 100% pure polypropylene.
What we like:
- It is compatible with a larger number of whole house water filter;
- It is quite inexpensive;
- Two layers ensure more purified water.
What we don’t like:
- It is fragile and can’t bear pressure more than 90 PSI;
- The plastic body is prone to damage by heat.
10. Filtrete Whole House Water Filter:
Filtrete product, with a larger capacity, is one of the best water filter systems that protect the plumbing and appliances from rust, sand, silt, sediment, and chlorine odor & taste. If you have three or more bathrooms, this large product is great for your use. Based on your requirement, you can choose from universal filters like grooved, granulated, and pleated based ones that ensure clean and clear water for your use. This versatile solution will ensure that you don’t need to spend extra money for smoother, cleaner, and tasty water for your everyday use. The 30-micron layer ensures removing sediments and rust. On the other hand, the 5-micron layer gives you extra protection.
- Depending on the kind of water you get supplied, you can choose from 3 style models;
- Its first layer of 30-micron removes sediments, rust, sand, and many more undesirable elements greatly;
- Its second layer of 5-micron filters out chlorine taste and odor;
- The longevity of the filter is three months;
- Replacement is straightforward and simple;
- WQA certifies it against NSF or ANSI standard 42;
- It is very convenient to install.
What we like:
- It’s a handy and versatile solution;
- It can remove unwanted materials and increase the taste of the water;
- You won’t need the help of a plumber since it’s installation is very easy;
- It is an inexpensive solution for you.
What we don’t like:
- Life span is shorter.
11. GOLDEN ICEPURE Whole House Water Filter:
It is a filter, not a filtration system itself. It is highly compatible with major brands like DuPont, Whirlpool, Kenmore, Culligan, GE, and many more. The best part of this filter is its heavy-duty mechanism. It can remove scale particles, dirt, sand, and dust particles by more than 95%. It has a high-density 3-layer filter. Water from Golden Icepure brand filters will increase your palate because it provides great tasting water free from chlorine and odor by 99.06% from the hard water. According to the SGS test, it can reduce Cadmium by 97.2%, Copper by 96.1%, Arsenic by 87.8%, and Chromium by 96.9%. It can supply you a superior grade filtered water by retaining beneficial minerals while removing impurities. Both European and Australian Authorities widely recognize their high quality.
- It is a heavy-duty universal filter;
- It consists of good grade materials and 100% fresh polypropylene;
- Absolute micron rate is five;
- From outer to the inner layer, the micron rate becomes higher;
- This product offers a filter life 30% higher than general filters;
- It has a six months return policy;
- It offers a 100% money-back guarantee;
- It has reliable customer service with professional technical support;
- It is NSF certified and has a coconut shell activated carbon filter.
What we like:
- It integrates with the heavy-duty and the best filtering water systems without any hassle;
- It can completely remove all kinds of odor;
- It is incredibly cheap;
- Its authenticated removal rate of 95% proves the strength of removing all types of sediments.
What we don’t like:
- It may take a good amount of time to remove chlorine after the installation;
- It doesn’t fit the smaller purposes.
12. Filtrete Whole House Grooved Water Filter:
Like a Granulated charcoal water filter, this FIltrete product can perform all the same. The only difference is in longevity. Granulated one serves your short-term interest. At the same time, Grooved one will offer you a longer service. This product is best for households with two or fewer bathrooms. It offers you a universal filter replacement. Its filtration system provides a great taste of water by reducing chlorine taste and odor. Filter replacement has both three months and six months options.
- Among the three versions of Filtrete products, it last longer;
- Until the filter gets clogged, it doesn’t seem to change the flow rate;
- Its design is for use in drop-in style systems;
- NSF International certifies it against NSF/ANSI Standard 42;
- It is effortless to install;
- You don’t need a good amount of money for its purchase;
- This two-pack grooved whole house water filtration system has a standard capacity;
- It has the best sellers rank on Amazon.
What we like:
- It lasts longer than its other styles;
- It is compatible with a good number of available systems;
- It prevents clogging in the piping system;
- It’s cheaper than the granulated system;
- It provides a viable option among the three styles.
What we don’t like:
- It can not filter out all types of chemicals;
- For better output, you may need to add a carbon-based filter with it.
The different household has a different requirement for a home water filtration system. You have plenty of options available in the market for choosing the best water filter that suits your need. However, all the filters have the common function of making your water clean and contamination-free. But not all products perform the same way. In this section, we would present some factors that you must consider while buying the best water filtration system for your home, and it will explain how to choose the right water filter systems for the home.
Type of water:
Before buying any water filtration system, you need to test the water supplied to your home to determine the level of impurities in it. You can send the water to a lab for testing, or you can buy some kits to test by yourself. Even you can understand the quality of the water by its color, taste, and odor. This test will let you choose the right filter fitting your requirement. Usually, municipalities supply water after deployment of popular disinfectant, i.e., chlorine in it. You will require a carbon-based catalytic filter to remove chloramine from the water at the user end. In hard water with a high mineral content level, you should avoid using fine filters to prevent faster clogging.
The flow of water:
Whole house water filters have a distinctive level of filtering capacity per minute. The amount of water that comes to your filtering system will be ready for use at various faucets, showers, toilets, and appliances in the same amount. Any Filter capable of filtering ten gallons of water per minute may work well for a small family. But it will not surely serve the purpose of a large family. You know better the consumption pattern of your household. Say, for example, higher water consumption may happen in the morning before going to school or working and in the night before sleeping. Based on that pattern, you should buy a water filter capable of filtering at a flow rate that meets your requirement.
Type of filter:
Depending on the water test result, you may choose a particular type of whole house water filtration system that removes a specific element. If your problem is chlorine, then you should select a carbon or KDF filter. If you need to get rid of bacteria from the water, the UV filter will serve you best. At the same time, manganese and iron filters will remove these elements very effectively.
Performance and use:
You understand that the number of filters used, the better is the output. Because the multiple layers ensure catching more impurities in the water. Thus, better filters offer a three-stage design. However, if you live in a place where your municipality supplied water has low contamination, then two-stage ones will suffice, and they are less costly too. You may also have the interest to know the filter’s overall performance rather than simply looking at the capacity of removing impurities.
Capacity and Lifespan:
Another factor you must consider before buying the water filtration system is the filter’s capacity and lifespan. There are some filters with the capacity of filtering 1,000,000 gallons of water over ten years of life. You will find some other filters that have the capacity of filtering 100,000 gallons of water with one year of lifespan. There are also some models that you need to change every three months.
The pipe’s standard diameter is ¾ to 1 inch through which supplied water feeds into your house. According to this pipe size, our filters should match. If it has a smaller size pipe, you will face problems like water clogging and low water pressure.
Depending on the water’s test result, you should select the right micron size for your filter. Best filters have a micron size of 0.35 that can catch and block anything larger than 0.35 microns and get ready for their higher price. On the other hand, filters with more than 1 micron may serve your purpose if the source of your water is not heavily contaminated, and they are less costly as well. In such a situation, 0.35 micron will be a burden for you.
Installation and replacement:
You should buy those filters that you can easily install even without the help of a plumber. It will help you to save some extra bucks. Ensure the filter you are buying has a clear instruction manual that will help you install it yourself without asking a plumber to fix it. Furthermore, you need to make that the cartridges used in the filter are easily replaceable.
What is a Whole House Filter:
We understand that your reason for looking into our review on the whole home water filtration system is perhaps you have realized the difference in quality between raw supplied water and filtered water. Else, you have heard about the home water purification systems from your friend or relative. However, many of you are already using a whole house water filter without knowing it. So, the question now arises what a whole house water filter is?
After reading so far, you have some guesses in mind. As the name suggests, a whole house water filter is a system that is capable of purifying the water which enters your home for consumption. You can call it a Point of Entry (POE) system. Because before reaching to your heater, Lowes Shower Heads, faucet, washing machine, and even toilet for final use, the water gets filtered.
There is another type of filter called Point of Use (POU) system that gets installed at any particular place where you use the water, for example, a kitchen sink.
What Type of Whole House Filter Do I Need:
Now, you must have a question swinging in your mind on what type of filter you do need. Well, your requirement will vary depending on the specific water problem you encounter. For a detailed understanding, you may browse our buying guide section again.
When And Why Water Filtration is Necessary:
Water purification systems ensure the quality of water. That is why people are getting interested in the whole house water filtration system. If your water source is from a municipality supply, then you may likely experience the dubious quality of the water. First and foremost, you need to notice if your supplied water is chlorinated or not. Chlorine is a very popular disinfectant used for many years for the treatment of water. You are so used to consume chlorinated water that you may think its absence a strange thing at first. Although chlorine is a good disinfectant, it can damage your health if you use chlorinated water for a long time.
Another bad impact chlorine has on your skin and hair. You may experience excessively dried skin if you bathe in chlorinated water continuously. Overuse of chlorinated water may dull your hair. However, a whole house water filter can help you remove chlorine from your supplied water and thus have a positive effect on your skin’s and hair’s health.
You can contribute to the environment’s betterment by using a whole house water filter. How? Using other types of water filters for all the points of use for household purposes will increase electricity consumption, resulting from burning fuels that create carbon. On the other hand, for carrying the bottled water, trucks, and other means of transportation are necessary, requiring burning fuels that create carbon. Plastic pet bottles themselves are environmentally hazardous.
Water filtration system except the whole house products has byproduct, namely wastewater. In a whole-house system, the amount of water enters into the filter; you will get the same amount through the faucets, sinks, shower, and other points.
Apart from removing chlorine and chloramine, a whole house water filtration system will filter out other contaminants like mercury, led, industrial solvents, and many more to give you clean, pure, and healthy water.
How Does a Whole House Water Filtration System Work?
Whole-home water filtration systems have their unique way of filtering out the contaminants and other unwanted elements from water. However, the basic principle all the water filter systems follow is the same. So, let’s see how they work.
Your plumber will set the whole home water filters on the main water line before the heater. This way, all the water entering your house gets filtered. At the first stage, after water enters the system, it goes through a sediment pre-filter. This filter sucked larger particles like debris, sediment, silt, sand, or rust from the water. This pre-filter helps to keep the subsequent filters more functional for a longer period. Because without it, next level filters have to carry more pressure. Thus, you need to change those very frequently.
At the second stage, water goes through a carbon filter that plays the most crucial role in the filtration system. Activated carbon has a huge porous surface that absorbs and removes contaminants to a great extent. This part of the filtration system will effectively remove most of the chlorine, rest portion of the sediment, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), foul smell, and tastes from the water. You will find carbon filters with some silver amounts that filter an antibacterial capacity in some cases.
At the third stage, water passes through the copper-zinc and mineral filter, another important part of the filtration system. It extracts and filters out most of the contaminants like the left portion of chlorine, heavy metals, bacteria, and other microorganisms. This filter can diminish the scale in the water.
At this optional stage, water passes through a softener or a descaler. In some cases, there is ion-exchange technology available for doing the job. When water enters this stage, it passes over some resin beads filled with sodium ions. At the time of passing over the ion-filled beads, magnesium and calcium will replace the sodium ions. This process will make the water softer. But water might feel a little salty. Using salt-free softener will help you to maintain water with a neutral taste.
It is another optional stage to produce high-quality water. Water at this stage may have some microscopic particles. This post-filter stage will filter those out. The post-filters have full of holes with sizes from 0.35 to 1 micron.
There is another optional but beneficial filtration stage is the Ultra Violate (UV) filter. This filter destroys the remaining bacteria, viruses, or microorganisms that other filters can not detect. Using UV will solve the problem if your water source is highly contaminated.
How to Filter Well Water for Drinking:
The well water may get contaminated for several reasons. Don’t worry!! You have plenty of options in hand showing how to filter water well for drinking and other use. But, any single option may not serve your purpose completely. Here we present all the options for a well water filtration system. Your endeavor for a well water treatment system is not solely because of removing the contaminants. Other reasons include but not limited to are improving the taste and health consciousness. Let’s look into the options.
Water Filtration System
In-home water filters can remove many types of impurities and contaminants from the drinking water. It can use chemical, biological processes, or a physical barrier to make your drinking water clean and safe. Out of many water filtration systems available in the market, you can choose one that fits your requirement. Some of the most used filters are under sink water filtration system, faucet attached water filter, a countertop water filter, and many more. However, a whole house water filtration system will serve your purpose best if you want to have pure and clean water to all the channels, namely kitchen sink, washing basin, drinking water tap, etc. In that case, Home Master Whole House 3-Stage Water Filter will be a perfect option for cleaning and purifying the well water and distribute it to all channels for your all household use.
Water Softening System
If you require to remove the well water’s hardness, you can use the softener device. This softener device has embedded sodium or potassium ions, which will remove the calcium and magnesium ion of the water responsible for making it hard. Softeners will make the well water soft by removing the hard items while keeping the necessary minerals intact.
Water Distillation System
A distillation system can be a good option for making your well water drinkable and clean. Distillation is a process of boiling the impure water, collecting the steam, condensing it on a separate container, and finally removing the solid contaminants to make it usable.
Water Disinfection System
You can disinfect your well water either by chemical or physical process. This process will kill or deactivate the pathogenic microorganisms. Chemical disinfectants include ozone, chlorine, and chlorine dioxide. Physical disinfectants are heat, ultraviolet light, and electronic radiation.
So, filters and other available water purification systems will remove contaminants and some unwanted elements like lead from well water. Reverse osmosis systems will filter out contaminants that carbon-based filters can not remove. An efficient and cost-effective water filtration system that you can deploy for water treatment is the Home Master Whole House 3-Stage Water Filter. This filter can serve all purposes of household water requirements.
How to Test Water Quality:
Before you decide to install a whole house water filtration system, we suggest conducting a test to judge your water quality. Based on the parameters and testing procedures, the water test has three unique areas: physical tests, chemical tests, and bacteriological tests. Let us have a look at them.
Physical tests group the things and elements that the senses can detect. This test records the turbidity, dissolved solids, suspended solids, total solids, color, taste, and water odor.
Chemical tests find out chemical parameters like pH, biocides, B.O.D, highly toxic chemicals, and hardness of the water. B.O.D indicates the level of oxygen in the water.
Bacteriological tests determine the level of bacteria, viruses, or microorganisms that the first two tests can not detect. It is the most important part of the tests. Normal filters can clear out the particles and other elements. But if you get water from a contaminated source, you need to make sure which whole house water systems can clear out the virus, bacteria, and other microorganisms found through this test.
Installation & Maintenance of Whole House Water Filter Systems:
Installation of Whole House Water Filter:
It is not very difficult to install a whole house filter water system at your home. If you are a beginner, you may call for professional help. But our guideline will encourage you to undertake a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) project for the installation so that you can call it a DIY water filter.
- Firstly, switch off the main water supply line and then drain the water from the existing system.
- Decide where you shall place your filter and then mark the location. Since you need to change the filter frequently, it is better to choose a location that is within your comfortable reach.
- Use a pipe cutter to cut the pipe.
- Follow the installation manual strictly for fixing the compression nut and plastic fittings. You should not forget to use Teflon tape on the fittings.
- Install the system according to the “in” and “out” port facing to ensure the right directions.
- First, check the leaks, turn off the water inlet valve of your filter, and turn on the primary water supply. If no leaks are found, you can turn on the inlet valve. Since leaking is widespread, check it again and again.
Congratulations!! You have completed the installation of your whole house filter. Please turn off the inlet valve each time you change the filter. For taking out the cartridge filter, you must use the wrench provided with your system.
Changing the Whole House Water Filter:
Depending on the water filtration system’s model, the issue of changing the filters will vary. However, most models follow the following principle:
- First, turn off the inlet valve of your filter.
- Screw off the filter with the provided wrench and use a bucket to collect the dripped water.
- Use clean & dry cloth to clean the inner part of the filter.
- Place the new filter and tighten it with the wrench.
- Turon on the inlet valve.
- Before you taste the water from the new filter, you must allow it to run the water for at least 10 minutes.
Comparison Chart of the Best Whole House Water Filters:
|Home Master Water Filter||See on Amazon||100,000 Gallons||24 x 9 x 25 inches||48 pounds||
|Aquasana Premium Rhino||See on Amazon||1,000,000 Gallons||9 x 46 x 44 inches||44.5 pounds||3|
Express Home Water Filtration System
|See on Amazon||15,000 Gallons each||23.5×8.5×29.5 inches||65 pounds||
|Aqua-pure whole House Water Filtration System||See on Amazon||100,000 Gallons||6 x 6 x 27 inches||7.5 pounds||1|
Culligan Whole House Sediment Water Filter
|See on Amazon||Four times the capacity of a standard duty water filter||7.5×7.5×14 inches||5.45 pounds||
|DuPont Water Filtration System||See on Amazon||15,000 Gallons||13.7 x 4.8 x 4.6 inches||2.1 pounds||
|WHIRLPOOL Whole House Filtration Replacement Filter||See on Amazon||To cover one to four members of the family||4.7 x 4.7 x 9.9 inches||1.1 pounds||
Aquios Water Softener and Filtration System
|See on Amazon||40,000 Gallons||5 x 23.5 inches||7.5 pounds||1|
|Aquaboon Sediment Water Filter Whole House||See on Amazon||10,000 Gallons||18.4 x 10.2 x 4.5 inches||4 pounds||
|Filtrete Whole House Water Filter||See on Amazon||Large||19 x 5.1 x 10.7 inches||2.35 pounds||
|GOLDEN ICEPURE Whole House Water Filter||See on Amazon||Large||10.2 x 10.2 x 20.5 inches||1.81 pounds||
|Filtrete Whole House Grooved Water Filter||See on Amazon||Large||11.8 x 6.3 x 10.7 inches||8.8 ounces||1|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- Why use a whole home water filter?
Since you are a health-conscious person, you don’t want to depend on the impure municipal water anymore. You want to remove small particles, chlorine, high bacterial contamination, bad odor, or test from your water. On the other hand, you want such a system to purify the municipal water for the meeting: all household requirements from drinking to cleaning and washing to bathing. A whole house water filtration system can meet your very purpose.
- How to Install Whole House Water Filters?
You can take help from a professional plumber for the installation. Otherwise, you can take the initiative to do it yourself, following the instruction manual provided with your filtration system. The process is straightforward. Switch off the main water supply line, choose the location for setting the filter, cut the pipe, install the nut & other fittings, install the filter, turn off the filter’s inlet valve & switch on the main water supply line to check the leak.
- How shall you Build Your Own 3-Stage Whole House Water Filter?
Please follow question & answer number 2.
- What do whole house water filters remove?
There are many Whole Water House Filters available in the market with a common objective of ensuring clean & purified water for meeting all your household purpose. Depending on your requirement, a whole house water filtration system will remove all particles big or small, sand, sediment, rust, chlorine, manganese, bad odor & smell, virus, bacteria, and other microorganisms are very harmful to your health.
- Where is the whole house water filters installed?
You understand that whole house water filters ensure the pure and clean water requirement of your house. Water from the municipal source will first enter this system. After purification by removing all the bad things, the system will send the water to your heater for supplying the cold or hot water to all taps, faucets, sinks, and shower points. Thus, the whole house filter’s location should be on the main water source’s entry point. You should choose the location keeping in mind that it remains within your comfortable reach.
- Advantages and Disadvantages of UV water filters.
Advantages include these filters are cost-effective, inexpensive, water taste & color don’t change due to non-use of chemicals, and give pure water instantly. Disadvantageous aspects are they do not remove dissolved impurities, don’t have a water storage tank, require electricity, not effective for muddy water, and invisible light don’t guide users to find if the filter is working.
- Which is the best whole house water?
Each whole house water filter has its feature. You know your filtration requirement better than anyone. You may use either municipal water or well water. The most hidden & hazardous thing of the municipal water you will want to remove is chlorine. For longer use of chlorinated water, you will experience dried skin and unhealthy hair over time. On the other hand, well water may have particles, sand, sediment, rust, and other undesirable elements that you will want to remove. Therefore, based on your requirement, you have plenty of options to find the best whole house water filtration system.
- How much is the cost of a whole house water filter system?
The cost of the whole house water filter will depend on your purpose of use. Products described in our review section are the most used ones that mean they serve the people’s best filtration interest. In the review section, you will get the price that fits your budget and expectation.
- How often should I change my whole house water filter?
Since the whole house water filtration systems function based on cartridges/filters, they have a specific lifespan. Based on the price and scope & capacity of filtration, the longevity of the filters vary. Usually, filters have a lifespan ranging from 3-6 months.
- How long does a whole house water filter last?
Please see the q&a number 10.
- What happens if the water filter is not changed?
Whole House Water Filter is nothing but a device to purify your water. Like other devices, it requires timely maintenance. The change of filters when they grow older is an important part of maintenance. If you don’t change your system’s filters timely, the overall performance will gradually end up. The system will no more entertain you heath concern.
- Is it dangerous not to change the water filter?
Please browse the q&a number 11.
- Do unused water filters expire?
It will depend on the model you are using. Filters that are expensive and perform robustly may not expire quickly if you keep them dry.
- How often should you change Aquasana filters?
For getting the maximum level of filtration smoothly, you should change the filters of your Aquasana whole house water filter at least once every six months or 500 gallons, whichever comes earlier.
We believe that our review on the whole water filtration systems for homes and water treatment systems could catch your interest in the subject matter. It will be our privilege if you can reach a concrete decision on the product from our listed ones that best meets your requirement. All the filtration system can remove unwanted elements from water. Finding the best home filter for your requirement is key to the decision. Our review is a little endeavor to help you make the right decision. Stay safe!!